I'd like to officially announce that Monodraw is entering maintenance mode.
With immediate effect, Monodraw is entering maintenance mode. This means that there will be no more updates in the future. While I'll be aiming to provide OS compatibility updates, if required, those are not guaranteed. Accordingly, the price has been reduced from $19.99 to $9.99.
Monodraw was released in May 2015, about three and a half years ago. Unfortunately, it did not achieve commercial success and it meant I had to get a job. In the years that followed, I could only work on Monodraw in my spare time. Due to recent changes in my life, I can no longer devote any meaningful time to the app.
As it happens in life, things change. I had little time to devote to Monodraw and I struggled with that fact for a very long period, trying really hard to push meaningful updates at regular intervals. But the writing has been on the wall and it's time to call the spade a spade. Over the years, I had to make many sacrifices, including neglecting important people in my life and that's not something I will be doing in the future.
Being overcommitted in life meant I was finally forced to prioritise ruthlessly, so that I can make space to focus on the important parts. As much as it pains me to say it, Monodraw did not make the cut. But as it happens, letting go is not necessarily a negative — it opens up new opportunities.
A lot of hard work and love went into Monodraw. I'll be eternally grateful to everyone who helped me in the process, especially Atanas who's been on the journey with me all along.
- Why not open source the app?
- Maintaining an open-source project can be a significant amount of work and I'm not going to have the time to take on such responsibilities. Furthermore, open-sourcing full products tends to result in many clones being sold directly to unsuspecting customers which is not something I want to enable.
- Why is the app still paid?
- For a couple of reasons. Firstly, I value my work and I'm not afraid to put a price on it. Secondly, even though the app is in maintenance mode, it still provides value to its users.
- Will Monodraw ever be developed actively again?
- Maybe. I cannot predict what the future holds.